This dish is a little more trouble and higher in carbs than what we might normally do for Kimkins, but it is a lovely meal for a special occasion or company!
(Go low on carbs the rest of the day, to make up for it. It's worth it)
Spicy Pork Stir-Fry
1 tablespoon medium-dry sherry (optional)
3 tablespoons soy sauce (reduced sodium suggested)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
3/4 lb boneless pork tenderloin, thinly sliced,then cut into 2 by 1/4 inch strips
1 packet Splenda (or liquid equivalent)
2 tablespoons peanut oil (can reduce or eliminate by using non-stick spray)
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch thick strips
1/2 lb snow peas, trimmed
1 cup salted roasted cashews (for Maintenance only)
Ahead of time, if possible: Prep major ingredients.
Rinse veg. Trim ends off snow peas; slice peppers. Peel/mince ginger. Press garlic.
Slice meat into slices, then strips - best done when meat is slightly frozen.
Begin: Prep ingredients, if not done earlier.
Start rice for family, if needed.
Gather wok, knives, measuring cup and spoons, and ingredients.
Spray wok with non-stick spray.
1. Stir together sherry (if using), and only 1 Tbs. of the soy sauce, then stir in sesame oil.
2. Add pork, stirring to coat well, and let stand 10 minutes.
3. Stir together sweetener and remaining 2 Tbs. soy sauce.
4. Heat a wok (sprayed with non-stick spray) or large nonstick skillet over high heat until a bead of water dropped on cooking surface evaporates immediately.
5. Add only 1 tablespoons peanut oil, swirling wok to coat evenly, then stir-fry only 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes until fragrant, about 5 seconds.
6. Add bell pepper and stir-fry 2 minutes.
7. Add snow peas (and cashews, if using) and stir-fry until snow peas are crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Transfer vegetables to a bowl.
9. Heat remaining 1 tablespoons peanut oil in wok until just smoking, then stir-fry remaining ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes until fragrant, about 5 seconds.
10. Add pork and stir-fry, separating strips, until browned and barely cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Add vegetables and sweetened soy sauce, then stir-fry until vegetables are just heated through, about 1 minute more.
Serve with rice for the family, and maybe cauli-rice, if you can afford to spend the carbs (maybe Maintenance?).
For those in Maintenance, add 1 cups of cashews in Step 7.(Or, cook them separately at that point, and add only to family/company portion.)
You can save calories by skipping peanut oil or reducing to 2 tsp. for flavor.
For entire recipe, made with liquid sucrolose sweetener, without cashews:
923 calories, 49 g fat, 34 g carbs, 82 g protein
Per serving: 230.75 calories, 12.25 g fat, 8.5 carbs, 20.5 g protein
Using packet Splenda would add 3.5 calories and 1 g carb per serving.