I once had a SERIOUS Starbucks habit, until I went to the Starbucks website for nutritional info, and found out what my supposedly 'Atkins-friendly" breve latte with sugar-free syrup was costing me. Yikes! That cured me!
Since I kicked that expensive habit, I've saved a small fortune is dollars, carbs, and calories. But, every now and then, I do get the old hankering. So, here is my current best summery coffee treat, handy for sipping after a cookout on the patio when the rest of the gang is having ice cream.
Makes 2 "Grande" Drinks
To prep ahead: make double-strength coffee and chill it. (Otherwise, it just melts your ice into a lukewarm liquid instead of a frosty treat!) For the real deal, use Starbucks beans and grind them yourself just before brewing.
* 3/4 cup double-strength coffee, cold
* 3 tablespoons granulated Splenda (or equivalent in sweetener of choice)
* 1 cup Hood Calorie Countdown Dairy Beverage
* 2 cups ice
1. Make double-strength coffee by brewing with twice the coffee required by your coffee maker. That should be 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per each cup of coffee. Chill before using.
2. To make drink, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until ice is crushed and drink is smooth. Pour into two 16-ounce glasses, and serve with straws.
For this variation, omit (or reduce) Splenda, and add 3 tablespoons of caramel sugar-free Da Vinci syrup or 2 tablespoons of Walden Farms Caramel Dip to the original recipe and prepare as described.
For this variation, you have two options. The simplest is just to use Hood Calorie Countdown Chocolate Dairy Beverage in place of the regular white kind.
Or, omit (or reduce) the Splenda, and add 3 tablespoons sugar-free Da Vinci chocolate syrup or 2 tablespoons of Walden Farms Chocolate Dip to the original recipe and prepare as described.
Enjoy! Let me know what you think!