Monday, August 6, 2007

Taco Salad

This one is easy!


Taco Salad
Serves 4

(Ingredients:


1 lb. ground white turkey (or extra-lean beef)

1/2 to 1 tsp each: garlic powder (or minced garlic) salt, ground cumin, chili powder (to taste)
1/2 cup chopped onion (opt. - to cook with meat)
6 -10 cups lettuce of choice (I like romaine, sliced in thin shreds.)
1 - 2 tomatoes, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped green onion (or regular onion, for people to add to their own salads.)
1 cup cheese, Cheddar, or Mexican Blend, shredded
1/2 to 1 cup Salsa of choice (I use Pace Picante, or homemade)

Extras (for family, or maintenance):

1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
1 can black olives, sliced
1 can black beans, drained
1/2 to 1 cup sour cream
Tortilla Chips

Salad Dressing, as desired (I just use salsa, but Light Ranch works, too.)


Directions:

1) In large skillet sprayed with non-stick spray, brown meat with seasonings (and onions, if using). Drain, if needed.

2) Place lettuce on large serving platter. (Or divide evenly among four salad plates.)

3) Sprinkle with layers of meat, cheese and tomatoes.

Serve with additional extras (salsa, green onions, olives, avocado, sour cream, beans, chips) for to add, as desired.

2 comments:

Cris said...

Hi! Kelli sent me here and I am so glad she did, love your recipes!

Becky said...

Hi, Cris! Thank you for stopping by and posting to my blog.

Any friend of Kelli's is fine with me. She is a treasure!

In fact, I rousted her out of her peaceful morning homeschooling routine today to come rescue me from the roadside when my old Volvo station wagon breathed what may have been its last dying gasp while dropping off one of my sons at college. She also allowed us to inconvenience her again to pick him up after classes and take him to work. We'd have been hopelessly stuck without her aid.

Anyway, I do hope you will enjoy the blog. I'll be sending out my weekly newsletter again on Thursday, so maybe you will find a few low-carb recipes you like!