Monday, August 6, 2007

Monday Menus: August 6

Here is this week's menu, with recipes following. I often simplify or rearrange things in the actual cooking, as events come up, but this gives me a plan for my shopping list and prep-aheads. I usually only end up making 5 or 6 of the entrees, because of going out or over to someone's house for dinner, or eating leftovers some nights when the kids are all out and it is just DH and me.

I usually have a protein shake for breakfast, or some kind of eggs. For lunch, I rotate a few basic 'lunch of the week' ideas. In that way, things stay simple and uncomplicated.

For dinner, I try to make a basic meal the whole family can eat, with variations.
I add the higher-carb, higher-calorie menu items for my non-Kimkins family [in square brackets].

Monday
B: Mocha Cappuccino Protein Shake
L: Grilled Chicken with Dijonaisse Dip
D: Taco Salad, [sliced avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips]

Tuesday
B: Strawberry Protein Shake
L: Tuna Salad on Revolution 'Bread'
D: Chicken a la Queen, salad of baby mixed greens, steamed broccoli, [parsley-buttered egg noodles]

Wednesday
B: Chocolate Mint Protein Shake
L: Egg Salad on Celery Sticks
D: Black Pepper Beef and Cabbage Stir-Fry, [rice, melon]

Thursday
B: Denver Omelet with Canadian Bacon
L: Diet Coke "Float" Protein Shake
D: Texas-Style Low-Carb Chili, [favorite fixings, tortilla chips]

Friday
B: Fuzzy Navel Protein Shake
L: Texas-Style Low-Carb Chili
D: Salmon Bundles with Rosemary, Capers, and Lemon; Romaine/Red Onion Salad; [Steamed Red Potatoes}


Saturday
B: Chocolate Peanut Caramel Protein Shake
L: Tuna Salad on 'Revolution Bread', Celery Sticks
D: Chili-Lime Chicken, Garlic Cauliflower, [Corn with Mixed Bell Pepper Bits]

Sunday
B: Strawberry Kiwi Protein Shake
L: Rosemary Pork Loin Medallions, Lemon-Pepper Green Beans, [Seasoned Potato Wedges]
D: Any leftovers of choice from week

Drinks: Water, Coffee, Iced tea/Sugar-free Lemonade, Green tea, Peach tea
Snacks and Desserts: Sugar-free gelatin, Sugar-free slushies/snowcones/popsicles (homemade)

7 comments:

Gemma said...

Becky,

Thank you so much for all the wonderful menu postings and recipes! I am really enjoying your ideas and it gets me thinking!

Amy O'Quinn said...

I found you through my dear friend Kelli's blog (what a sweet DIL you have)! Wow! What an inspiration you are. I am a former schoolteacher-turned-homeschool mom of six, and this is our eleventh year of home education. I will be forty next week, and those final pesky baby pounds from the last pregnancy are stubbornly wanting to hang on...our baby is almost 16 months old...so I NEED to get the weight off...no more excuses. However, I know from experience that when I stop nursing, more of the weight will (hopefully) come off. I am trying to shed 15-20 pounds through healthy eating and T-Tapp, and your recipes look wonderful. I will definitely be trying some of them out! I also plan on subscribing to your newsletter! Congratulations on your weight loss! You look great!
Blessings,
Amy (picketfencemom)
Wife to pastor husband and mom to six wonderful blessings...16yo twin daughters, 10yo ds, 7yo dd, 3yo ds, and (almost) 16mo ds

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/picketfencemom

Kimmerexia said...

Becky,

Congrats on "pulling the plug"!

Becky said...

Hi, Gemma! Sorry I missed these comments. Life got crazy for a while.

I am back to posting about regular low-carb life things again, and will be sending out a newsletter again soon.

If you cook anything like I do, you probably tweak and twiddle and use recipes as a jumping-off point, but that's what makes it taste goid, right?

Do you like Thai food? Someone sent me a Thai recipe that sounds scrumptious, and my boys can't wait for me to test it out. I will try to make it this weekend, and I'll post it after that.

I have a Filipino recipe, too, from the three years we lived there, if I can remember it.

If only I can figure out a way to make decent low-carb lumpia! (Filipino egg rolls - so good!)

Becky said...

Amy - Hello! Nice to meet you. Thank you for coming to my blog. I checked yours out, too. It looks delightful, and I will drop by and comment. I have to learn how you and Kelli make yours look so charming and personalized. (I am pretty new at this.)

Yes, Kelli is very sweet and special. I am blessed with her in the family. She is a wonderful wife and mother, and is as gracious in her home as she is on her blog. Never miss a chance for tea with her if you ever have the opportunity!

Sadly, those baby pounds don't get any easier to drop when we get older. Our bodies must have a meter that ticks over when we hit 40 --- at least, I certainly noticed a difference!

I also had the experience of holding weight when nursing. I have heard so many people say we all drop pounds like magic while nursing, but that never worked for me. I thought I was the only one!

Have you started T-Tapp? I think it is great stuff! I have all her main package, and the walking workout, and the body brushing things, too. A lot of time, in this Texas heat, I do the walking workout on my rebounder in the air-conditioned comfort of my home. Someday I hope to get those Meta-Treks shoes she talks about. They say you can really tone your legs just wearing them doing housework or walking around the neighborhood.

Best wishes on your weight loss! Check back in, and we can both post pictures at our goal weights before too long!

Becky said...

Congrats? Hmm . . . well, I do appreciate that you mean well, but I have to say I am not feeling very celebratory right now.

Relieved, maybe. But not celebratory.

Becky said...

Rexia - Did that sound rude? If so, I'm sorry. I reread my comment, and maybe it came across wrong.

So, I'll just say - thank you.